Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Armadillo Sightings & Horned Frogs

Did you know that the State Animal of Texas is the Nine-banded Armadillo?  I have been in Texas for several months. Up until about a month ago I had never seen an armadillo. They have this dumb-looking souvenir you can buy in the gift shops that is an armadillo on its back with a shot glass. Next time I see one, I will take a picture and post it.

So far, I haven't seen a LIVE armadillo, but now I have seen three dead ones on the side of the road. Armadillo means "little armored one". Isn't that the cutest name? I think it really means "armored rat". That's what they look like. I would really like to see one alive, but I hope I don't ever run over one. Having lived in the Delta/Oak City area for 20+ years, I have run over my share of rabbits. It's not a pleasant experience. It makes a large "ka-thunk" sound under your car, not to mention the damage it does to the rabbit. I can only imagine what kind of dents or holes you might end up with if you run over an armadillo!

The Texas State Reptile is the Texas Horned Lizard.  The mascot for Texas Christian University is the Horned Frog. A horned frog, a horned toad, and a horny toad are all names for the same thing, which, it turns out, isn't a frog or a toad at all, but a lizard. By now you are likely wondering why I am even talking about the horned frog, but read on, and you will find out.

It seems there is a famous horned frog that lies in state in a little glass coffin in the Eastland County Courthouse. He is famous for having been placed in the cornerstone of the building as it was being built. When the cornerstone was opened 31 years later, Old Rip (as he is affectionately called) was ALIVE! I won't try to recreate the complete dramatic story for you here, but I invite you to read it for yourselves by following this link: http://www.roadsideamerica.com/pet/rip.html. It's another amazing story from the heart of God's Country (or at least that's what all the people here think it is. . .  shhhhhh, don't tell them there's lots of other nice places in the world. )

4 comments:

  1. Actually I've wondered if there was a difference in horned frogs and horny toads, so I'm glad for the tutorial on the subject. Also Kevin says that he has hit several armadillos and it has caused no damage to his vehicle although he was driving a pickup truck at the time. He says it does however make a lot of noise, (poor armadillo!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad I don't have either of those creatures around.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm the holiday armadillo!!! Haven't seen the lizards, but we have had some snakes in the yard. Yuck. I agree there are many other great places in the world, but don't tell the Texans. You might get hanged in the town square. I'll be calling you this weekend sometime to finalize plans for the drive. If you still want us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm pretty sure I just encountered two Armadillos here in St. George Utah, i can't find anything on the internet supporting their existence here but once again I saw them with my own two eyes.

    ReplyDelete